Wednesday, 19 December 2007

Oh Lord, please don't burn us, don't grill or toast your flock

We have a new priest starting at our church this month. I'm hoping she will shake things up with a hilarious (but worshipping) prayer such as this from Monty Python:

Chaplain: Let us praise God. O Lord...
Congregation: O Lord...
Chaplain: ...Ooh, You are so big...
Congregation: ...ooh, You are so big...
Chaplain: ...So absolutely huge.
Congregation: ...So absolutely huge.
Chaplain: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.
Congregation: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.
Chaplain: Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and...
Congregation: And barefaced flattery.
Chaplain: But You are so strong and, well, just so super. Congregation: Fantastic.
Chaplain: Amen.
Congregation: Amen.

I think God can take it. He is known to have quite the sense of humour*.

*Just look at platapi and the human scrotum.

3 comments:

Sonneta said...

One moment I still remember from Chapel in college was a very interesting prayer. The message that day was about listening to God's voice, his call. Well, the prayer, which was printed in the bulletin, and which we all had to say in unison, started with something like, "Oh God, I didn't hear your call. I was in the shower. My music was turned up too high." I dunno, it was just funny.

Plumbob said...

Your church sounds cool! My church just sticks to the Creeds.
Was there any giggling after that line?

Sonneta said...

I don't remember any giggling at the time (perhaps we were all a bit shocked?), but my friend Bethany and I had a good laugh about it after.

I miss Chapel.